History Thru Photos.
The EE-8 Field Telephone was used by the Signal Corps from before World War II through the Vietnam War. It was housed in leather, then canvas, and its last production had a nylon case and straps, after the changeover to that material in 1967.
The EE-8 Field Telephone was standardized in 1932 and procurement began in 1937, providing a lighter and more functional unit just in time for the huge mobilization of the U.S. military for WW II. Among other improvements, the EE-8 increased the maximum transmission range of the predecessor EE-5 Field Telephone by six miles or more.